Austrian is the flag carrier of Austria and is based at Vienna Airport, which offers one of shortest minimum connecting time in Europe. The airline flies to about 130 destinations worldwide and mainly focusses on bringing passengers from all over the world to destinations in Central and Eastern Europe and the other way around.
Austrian Airlines is like Swiss Air Lines, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, Air Dolomiti and Eurowings part of Lufthansa Group. The airline is like its fellow members part of one of the world’s largest alliances: Star Alliance. Austrian Airlines employees about 7,000 people of the about 135,000 employees in the Lufthansa Group. In the last years, Austrian reasoned that it would need to cut a large amount of jobs to stay competitive with the Vienna based budget airlines.
- Parent company
- Lufthansa Group
- Star Alliance
- Vienna Airport
Austrian Airlines was founded on 30 September 1957 and started its operation in 1958 with a flight to London. The airline still operates under the same name. In 1998, Austrian acquired Tyrolean Airways which was founded in 1980. That airline fully merged into Austrian Airlines in 2015. In 2000, the airline became a member of Star Alliance and acquired Lauda Air at the same time. Nine years later, in 2009, Austrian Airlines became part of Lufthansa Group.
- Austrian Airlines has according to Skytrax the best cabin crew of all European airlines (2019).
- The airline offers the best Premium Economy Class and Business Class catering in Europe (Skytrax, 2019).
- In November 2019, Austrian introduced a 3D seating map in which passengers can virtually walk through the aircraft.
- Austrian Airlines offers about 10 different Viennese coffee types on long-haul flights in Business Class.
- The full-flat seats on intercontinental flights in Business Class have an integrated massage function.
- Austrian has a ‘flying chef’ on board who prepares and serves meals for Business Class passengers (long-haul flights only).
- According to Skytrax is Austrian the airline with third-cleanest airline cabins (2019).
Every Economy and Premium Economy passenger can take 1 piece of hand baggage with a maximum of 8 kg. Every Business Class passenger can take 2 pieces of hand baggage both with a maximum of 8 kg. In addition, every passenger can take 1 personal item. Passengers travelling with Austrian Airlines Economy Light can take checked baggage for an additional fee, passengers travelling with Economy Classic & Flex can take 1 piece of checked baggage of 23 kg. Premium Economy and Business Class passengers can take 2 pieces of baggage with them. For Premium Economy passengers the maximum weight is 23 kg per piece of baggage while Business Class passengers can take 2 pieces of 32 kg per bag.
Austrian Airlines offers its passengers Wi-Fi on the majority of their aircraft. Prices for in-flight Wi-Fi vary from €3 to €12. Please consult website Austrian for more information.
Do you want to share your pictures with the world? Please send them to us, and we will publish them on our website!